Thursday, May 5, 2011

How to Convert Suitcases into a Coffee Table

Today while cleaning my house I am going to try to post once an hour to catch everyone up on some of my adventures. First the coffee table now I tried to get this post in order but this blog will not mind me. The pictures I sat for 45 minutes trying to get them in order but noooo the blog would not cooperate but you get the idea. I will try to put a small explanation with each to walk you through the process.



First thing you need is a couple of vintage suitcases. They are easily found at any swap meet or vintage store. Get the cheapest ones . The beauty of these is you can store stuff in the suitcases. I store blankets and comforters. They take up so much room on the shelves. One should be larger then the other to balance the look. Funny thing the larger suitcase had my initials on it.





Wild right ! 






Next is to if you want decoupage them. Here is what I did. I got some travel stickers from an Etsy store. I also put my son's band poster on the top it was a perfect fit. Grab a jar of Mod Podge.






Here are the stickers I got 





I completely cover the suitcases and apply my stickers. I put a small amount to put the stickers then painted two coasts to cover them and get a good shne. Let it dry for 24 hours and make sure you do not need another coat.





A few pictures to show you my finished stiker time.




It turned out pretty good. 











Now to put the feet on. These I purchases at the local hardware store. They cost 1 dollar each. I bought these because I can easily put some felt on the bottom to avoid scratches on the hardwood floors.









Ok so here I had to put feet on not really so hard just drilled the holes. But I have to say a tear
did drop having to rip the silk inside after all where in the world is a suitcase with silk anymore I ask you.






Insert the foot into the suitcase and put on the screw tighten until taunt. It took no time. The next thing I did was varnish it. I won't bore you with the pictures it was a clear varnish. You can use paint on or spray varnish. 




Now to get a glass top made. I took mine to Aladdin Glass here in Simi Valley. Any glass business can accommodate you. It took 24 hours and I had my little DIY Coffee Table home and ready to store blankets and put my feet up. Just enough table not to big not to small and homemade. Yup I upcycled. . 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin